Wednesday, June 17, 2015

(06-17-15) Research Project Breakthrough

Every so often, astronomy researchers get stuck on a problem.  The length of time it takes to solve this problem can vary from a couple of days to a few weeks.  Well, this is the second week of my research internship and I have already faced major adversity.  In a previous post, I explained the major obstacles I ran into when attempting to install a Python package that I expected (but did not know for sure) would do EXACTLY what I wanted it to do.  Well, a lot has happened since then.

After I got Python successfully running on my command prompt, it took me hours to figure out how to get it running via a terminal.  In my case, that would be the Cygwin 64-bit Terminal. The next step was to install the Python package that I have been so desperate to use. After the drama with correctly installing Python onto my computer, I was able to "pip install astroquery."
Subsequently, it was all about using the Python package "astroquery."  After so much hard work and tediousness, I considered this package to be my Holy Grail.  I was more than eager to use it in a script that would make life much easier and expedite my research progress.  To my surprise, this package was much more complex, i.e. user-hostile, than I would have liked.  Furthermore, the documentation for it is frighteningly scarce.  The feasibility of this package was so bad that for a little while, I seriously thought that all of my hard work in getting the Holy Grail in my grasp was useless.

That "little while" actually lasted for several hours and a night's rest.  However, I am proud to say on this day, a tremendous feat was achieved.  At 1500 hours Eastern Standard Time today, a young researcher was inspired by his own triumph.  And to top it all off, he indulged in a great feast at the Center for Astrophysics later on that glorious evening.  The work day ended with joy in his heart, a grand meal in his belly, and tranquil weather for him to walk home in.
 (Sorry for the third person lingo.  I couldn't help it.)

Anyways, despite the insufficient documentation, I figured out how that Python package desires its command syntax.  Now, the power of Simbad's database is in the palm of my hands.  After that breakthrough, I was able to write a script within an hour to find satisfactory comparison stars for my future observation run.  The immediate next step is to use the real list of 160 bright star targets, that has just been given to me, and find the comparison stars that I will observe remotely via MINERVA telescopes.  But with my programming skills and the rough draft of my Python script already running smoothly, this won't take long.  Then, I'll be on the telescope in no time!

No comments:

Post a Comment