Friday, June 12, 2015

First draft

Now that I finally have my CfA email related troubles resolved I can start this first of many posts.  I am happy that writing this blog was recommended to us, although nervous at the same time.  Quite frankly, I have known for a long time now that I need more practice at getting my ideas on paper.  However, that does not imply that my writing skills have been subpar.  On the contrary in fact, I have been complimented, albeit only a couple times, about essays I have written and submitted to professors.  Despite my academic success in writing/communication classes, I have always known that I certainly need more practice at writing because of how much harder I find myself working when comparing myself to my classmates.  More specifically, I mean that my friends would be able to get their ink flowing long before I put my pen to paper.  More importantly, they would finish their writing assignments hours faster than I would.  This has always, in a trivial sense, disturbed me.  I am more than fine with others completing tasks faster than me.  It is that ticking clock that I have always had a problem with.

Knowing and seeing that it is possible for others to find writing to be "easy" only makes me more ambitious to do and learn that which is necessary to be more productive with my time.  My fast writing peers do not disturb me, but rather, it is that ticking clock that I have resentment towards.

If you haven't noticed by now, I am an extremely time-conscious person.  I count by the seconds.  I keep up, if not push the pace, of this excessively fast-paced society that governs the daily routines of (urban-dwelling) Americans today.  I believe that the pace at which the youth and young adults are expected to move in their daily lives is detrimental to one's social skills (such as verbal human to human communication), environmental awareness (such as vehicle/pedestrian safety), and appreciation for nature.

I wanted this first post to just be a confidence booster for myself as I begin writing for my first blog.  It felt nice to use the first post to express my personal experience about writing.  My next posts will revolve around my summer academic and research experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment